Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Door County


Dave and Owen on the private beach

This past weekend, Aug 25-28th we went to Door County. We stayed at Sandy Bay Shores in Sturgeon Bay, WI. We rented a 3 bedroom cabin called the Bay Guest House with my brother, sister in law, and nephew. The weather was picture perfect, sunny, 70s, no rain, and some nice overcast times which was perfect for the babies. We even brought our dog, Ernie and my brother brought his, Charlie. We didn't bring Bert with because he has a track record with not getting along with little babies/toddlers. It cost $50/per dog but it was worth it. Here are some pictures of our accommodations...

Ernie enjoying the open yard and fresh air... and STICKS

private beach along the bay

Sturgeon Bay

the beach, volleyball court, fire pit and 3 cabins of Sandy Bay Shore

Owen 16 weeks and a first trip to DC for me, dave, and Owen


Dave showing the beach to Owen on Thursday

the bay was super calm

firepit! great for campires... if you are awake enough to stay up for them. LOL!

Charlie Reid

Stacy and my nephew, Mason (1 years old)

row boats to use 

Grill out.. night #1!

On Thursday, we went downtown Sturgeon Bay and had lunch at Family Thyme restaurant. We then walked around Sturgeon Bay and saw some people fishing nearby. We also went to a confectionary store and Jerry bought some salt water taffey.  After that, we went and checked in around 1:30 p.m. and the boys went grocery shopping while we watched the kiddos. We also grilled out that night and went to bed early. We woke up really early to get to Door County by brunch time. 

On Friday, we packed up the car to head up the 'coast'. We went to Al Johnson's for lunch. It's known for it's whacky swedish ambiance and grass-covered-roof-with-goats-on top. Here are some pix...

Owen sleeping before the drive up to Sister Bay, WI

Owen ready for lunch!

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant

LAWN MOWING in progress.... just look up! ha!

Mason waiting it out.. we had a 15-20 minute wait

Stacy, Mason, and Jerry (Sister Bay, WI)

The Nash's


Dave & 16 week old Owen

we strolled along the waterfront while we waited for our table


Sister Bay, WI

Jerry

After lunch in Sister Bay, we headed back south towards our cabin and we stopped off for ice cream. Were we hungry? Absolutely not... but it's a tradition. I heard of this place from a friend, Amy. SERIOUSLY, I'VE NEVER HAD ICE CREAM THIS HUGE! $5/ waffle cone. I got strawberry on top and chocolate chip inside the waffle cone.  It was outrageously yummy. I seriously recommend splitting one waffle cone for 3 adults.. it's that much ice cream. My friend, Megan also mentioned a story of when she last went to Door County and how she got upset when her mom didn't give her the 'jelly bean at the bottom of the ice cream cone' . At Wilson's, THEY PUT A JELLY bean at the bottom of your cone to prevent dripping. LoL. Clever! It's a cute tradition! I recommend it!

Wilson's Ice Cream in Ephraim, WI .. I want to say

Dave with his chocolate chip- double scoop $5 waffle cone.. and Owen! 

This cone is half done! I should have taken  a before shot!

Dave and Owen.. we fed him as we sat on the park bench and ate our ice cream

Mason and his mom walking around outside Wilson's. Mason is getting so good at walking. He has always been phenomenal at walking along furniture and holding your hand while he walked. Since 9 months! He just needed the confidence to let go!

Door County

Stopping in Fish Creek to shop on Friday.. Nan & Jerry is a fish/tackle place

We saw a camel!

We saw some cool sunflowers!

On Saturday, I forgot my camera as we headed out for the day. We went to Fish Creek again.. this time to walk around around Peninsula State Park. However, on our way we made a few pit stops. We went to Fat Louie's Olive Oil place and we tried various olive oils, vinegars, and wines. I only tried olive oil and bought a bottle. Then, we went to Orchard Market. There were signs for all sorts of cherry stuff there. So, we went  there and I bough delicious APPLE CIDER donuts! Yum! Then, we went to Julie's Restaurant in Fish Creek.  This place was very yummy and we ate outside. Dave had his football draft so he had his laptop out while we ate. He had wi fi and was so happy about it! Then, Dave went to the car to finish his draft.  Then, Jerry/Stacy/Mason and I went to neary Not Yet Licked Frozen Custard... where they have ducks to feed, outdoor seating, and a park. A great pit stop for kiddies. Owen and Mason fed the ducks!!! :) Then, we drove up north and found this scenic overlook of the bay. It was gorgeous. We went back to the cabin a different way and drove through country and saw the eastern part of Door County.  We got back around 6 pm! We grilled out again and watched the sunset. My brother said he'd send me pictures of DC so I'll upload more pix of our Saturday out.. in the mean time.. here are some awesome sunset pix: 

Last Sunset on 8/27/11 in Sturgeon Bay


Dave, Owen, Mason, and Jerry on Saturday Aug 27 


Here are some adorable pictures of Owen at 16 weeks that I took yesterday after work. It was a long monday as we got home from Door County and had to do a lot of laundry. You know that feeling where you have so much to do and don't have a weekend to get it done since you traveled over the weekend. Yea, that was me. He is very cute when I come home from work. He's usually fussy as he wants to eat but we hold off until his bedtime. Here are pix of me and Owen playing.

time to play with my mom!

mommy makes me smile


Let's stand! Owen loves it when I hold him by his hands/arms and he'll be laying on the ottoman, then he goes stiff as a board while I pick him up to a standing position! It's hilarious. He gets this "I'm working to stand" face. 




16 week old Owen... adorable as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment