Sunday, December 12, 2010

19 weeks

This week I got my 19 week alert for Georgie! Georgie is the size of a mango! Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil, and dead skin cells now coats baby's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid. That sounds really nasty to be quite honest... but nature has a way of protecting Georgie.  Georgie allegedly weighs about 8 1/2 ounces & is measuring 6 inches, head to bottom.

Here are some 19 week pix:


Me & Georgie in front of the tree 12.11.10

Closeup of my bumperoo

Also, Georgie's hair on his/her scalp is sprouting. This is a crucial time for sensory development. Georgie's brain is designating specialized areas for smell, tasted, hearing, vision, and touch. They say Georgie can hear my voice now... which is good because Dave and I try to talk to Georgie. I think after Christmas we'll begin to read at night aloud together a book or so.. or maybe I'll just read a catalog/magazine in a soothing voice. Haha. In the 19 week alert it said to register for baby classes so we registered for these 3 classes:


  • Prepared Childbirth - topics include what to expect during labor and delivery, comfort measures to help you through each stage, admission to the hospital, epidurals & pain medications, vaginal and C/S birth, and much more. A tour of the maternity unit is included unless otherwise noted.  Fee $90/couple. We'll take this class on Thursdays starting on 3/3- 3/24/11 from 6:30-9:30 p.m.
  • Babycare PLUS - Topics include cord care, circumcision care, jaundice, basic babycare skills such as holding a newborn, bathing & diapering a newborn, and special techniques for comforting a fussy baby. This class includes a Pediatrician guest speaker who will be available to answer your questions about baby care.  Also included is car seat safety for your newborn and infant CPR (this is not a certification class). If you have already purchased a carseat, you are encouraged to bring it to the last portion of class for car seat practice. Dads are encouraged to attend.  Class meets on a weeknight x 3 wks or on a Saturday 9 am - 4:00 pm (lunch break provided).  Fee $75/couple. We'll take this 1 day class on Saturday, March 19th from 9-4:00!
  • Breastfeeding - taught by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) or a Certified Lactation Counselor.  Learn the basics of breastfeeding to help you get off to a good start! Dads are encouraged to attend! This 3 hour class meets on a weeknight or Saturday morning.  Fee $30/couple. Since we are doing the Babycare PLUS  class, this class is free. So we are taking this 1 day class on Thursday, April 14th from 6:30-9:30

Since I finished everything with Christmas I can now kick things into full gear for the baby!


Our Christmas tree and gifts underneath :) :)


Things I did this week:


  1. Filled out all my FMLA paperwork for work so I'm good to go for 12 weeks.
  2. Finished writing my 1st draft of my will! I just have to finish some loose ends with my car title and getting a security box at a bank to put our will, our passports, our car titles in there, valuables, etc. I think it's a smart idea. 
  3. Confirmed our term life insurance policy and got blood work done last Saturday the 4th so that is in underwriting now
  4. Registered for my baby classes at Edwards Hospital so Dave and I can be better prepared for Georgie's arrival
  5. Booked my maternity photography shoot with Amy for Sunday, March 27th at 10:00 a.m.!
  6. took measurements of our nursery and window and looked at ebay, amazon, and Cribs to College at some furniture for the nursery to narrow down which styles have a dresser <37" wide.


Things to do:

  1. find a good pediatrician in Naperville!
  2. confirm if Georgie will go on mom's insurance or dad's insurance... we have to look into it. I heard from my HR manager, on Tuesday,  that inoculations were not covered on my BCBS PPO.. so I'm really confused and I know Georgie will get a million + 1 vaccinations come his/her first year.
  3. order the crib and the dresser!! 8-10 weeks is what we were quoted for delivery and I really want the furniture here by March
  4. go to Ikea to look at storage and bookshelves for the nursery
  5. find a glider that is reasonably priced or find one used and get it re-upholstered
  6. and... CLEAN OUT the nursery and get organized with a storage unit. Dave and I have a lot of furniture, clothes, games, odds/ends in our 2nd bedroom that will have to be donated, sold, or stored as that room will be completely emptied in order to BABY-FY it! :) This will take me probably 3 weeks to do :(
If the weather stays as it has been... aka single digits and windy and cold... it'll be easy to hibernate and organize!

Here's some really adorable pix of our dogs, Bert & Ernie staying warm today 12.12.10

Ernie... and Bert

Just noses. :) :P

3 comments: